YIRRAMBOI Commissions EOIs now open!
What is YIRRAMBOI Commissions?
YIRRAMBOI Festival is coming back in 2021. Through YIRRAMBOI Commissions, we will present world premiere events in any artistic genres by First Nations creatives.
We are calling out for Expressions of Interest from artists, collectives and creative community groups to showcase artistic projects as part of YIRRAMBOI Festival 2021.
YIRRAMBOI Commissions will provide direct support, resources and advice to emerging and mid-career artists with First Nations background, to create, develop and present new work for the Festival.
YIRRAMBOI Commissions place First Nations voices first and provide the authority to determine ‘our narratives, presented our way’.
If you have a new work that you want to bring to life, then send it to YIRRAMBOI’s way. We want to hear from you.
What happened in 2019?
In 2019, YIRRAMBOI commissioned four First Nations practitioners through KIN Commissions:
What is involved this time?
YIRRAMBOI will commission five events developed by First Nations creatives. Each project will receive up to $18,000 grant. Any artistic genre is welcome – music, theatre, dance, visual art, you name it. Projects must be suitable for presentation in a venue in Melbourne.
The successful applicants are required to:
- Produce own event or provide own producer (if required we can assist with this)
- Manage budget
- Coordinate performance venue and manage ticketing
- Arrange production requirements and management
- Source props and liaise with the YIRRAMBOI Development Producer on progress of development works to final performance
YIRRAMBOI Development Producer will:
- Support applicants throughout all stages of development and performance
- Provide resources to venues
- Provide First Nations practitioners contacts for work opportunities
- Assist with budgets
- Undertake all marketing and communications around the event
- Development opportunities and,
- Assist with grant funding applications
Who can apply?
To apply for YIRRAMBOI Commissions, you must:
- Identify as First Nations
- Be a practicing artist / arts ensembles / organisation (emerging to mid-career) with demonstrated experience applicable to the proposed performance, including project management skills to realise the project in performance venue in conjunction with the YIRRAMBOI Development Producer and Creative Director
- Be based in the state of Victoria
YIRRAMBOI Commissions will provide up to $18,000 for your project. The YIRRAMBOI Development Producer will also assist you to apply for further funding via City of Melbourne grant resources with support from the City of Melbourne Arts Grants Team. And you are encouraged to source extra funding through external parties.
The fee will include any rehearsal and preparation costs, and your time in managing and delivering the work. Ensure you include the scope of your project, number of performances, and any production requirements.
Please note that two stages of funds will be provided to the selected artists leading up to the outcome. A schedule of payments will be arranged once successful applicants are chosen.
Selection of participants
Expressions of Interest will be reviewed by the YIRRAMBOI team, and the following will be considered:
- Do you meet the criteria above in the ‘Who can apply’ section?
- Does your project demonstrate artistic merit – quality, integrity and originality?
How to apply?
Please fill out the expression of interest form and upload any supporting documentation through the form that could assist your application.
If you have any queries please contact J-Maine Beezley,
email@example.com, 03 9658 7095
Remember to keep a copy of your proposal for your own record.
Applications close at midnight Friday 27 March 2020